Friday, January 4, 2008

Too Many Problems

Humans are prone to memory failure when problems lump in together. Problem doesn't come singly, and it's very true.

Maybe it is meant to be God's will to test human's heart and brain, maybe it's human who brought linking of single problem to chained problems.

We may not be able to prevent obstacles, but we can select better ways to overcome them.

Sometimes problems may seem more than they should. Perhaps some are not, but we made them problems.

How so? With negative outlook, every small hiccups or events grow to be a problem too big for us to solve. When the hands are full, everything else appears to be surplus.

Example:

I fixed a date for celebration for some occasion with my friends. I woke up in the morning, with anticipation to the evening. It's been a long time since we had a gathering. Many discussions were done and we settled for the best preferred dinning venue and food. Everything was expected to be well.

This day arrived; I dressed well with excitement, hoping the evening would arrive sooner. My friends and I would have a wonderful dinner and many things to talk about.

With a cheery mood, I arrived in the office, only to know that nothing went well. Orders were not fulfilled, operations were not running smooth, system shut down unexpectedly, customers were yelling, manager reprimanded me for the things not in my control. Work was lousy. It affected my mood.

When the day ended in the worst imagined way. I wasn't in the mood to even meet up my friends.

While my friends, who may have their own share of problems at work, at home. They went to the dinner as planned. I called my friends to inform of my intention to cancel the dinner. After much persuasion, and compromise, they changed the venue and time and even food, to accommodate me.

I went there and sulked the whole night thru. When I got home, my mum told me the microwave was not working well, and I flared up on this slightest issue complaining how troublesome it would be to call for a service etc etc, which could otherwise be dealt with in the slightest effort.

Result:
Not only that I didn't enjoy the dinner, I brought my friends moody atmosphere. My mum felt bad about not using the microwave properly. I felt lousy that my problems were simply overwhelming.

To Ponder:
were the incidental matters really problems?

We could segment issues and not to mix them up. If this piece of bean curd turn sour due to improper storage or whatever reason, and we mix other food in it, the whole dish would be equally bad. But if we segment the bean curd, and take other food separately, it would turn out differently. We would still have good food, while managing the bad food. Options are there, to make smelly bean curd using the sour bean curd? Or discard it all away. Objective remains same, to manage things separately, be it simultaneously, or stagger it in different time slot. Whatever we do, the other food has no inkling with the problematic bean curd, we have to be fair to the other food. Problems get solved, unless we don't want them to. We can't punish the good food with the bad food's fault.

Even in the midst of solving this problem, we need not be afraid of eating, we can still be hopeful that other good food come along the way. So long we don't mix things up, the good can remains good. Agree? hmmm... get my point?? Also reminding myself this..

No comments: